It’s almost Halloween, which means there’s a good chance you’ll have a lot of candy around your house. As you know, too much candy can be hard on your family’s teeth. Luckily, there are lots of strategies for Halloween candy to minimize its impact on everyone’s oral health.
Of course, it’s important to keep up with daily brushing and flossing. Visit our Lincroft, NJ office every six months for a cleaning and exam. If you have young kids or cavity-prone teens or adults, ask us about preventive treatments like fluoride and sealants. They provide added protection against dental decay.
If you need to make an appointment, call Newman Springs Dental Care today at 732-352-3903.
In the meantime, check out our suggestions for handling an excess of candy:
- Put Candy Away – Are you one of those people who keeps a bowl of candy at the ready? Cut down on temptation by keeping it out of sight instead. Choose a spot where your kids can’t easily get to it. Distribute no more than a few pieces at a time. It’s a good idea to establish designated times, like after dinner or right after school.
- Skip Sticky Treats and Eat Chocolate Instead – When it comes to candies, some are much better than others for your dental health. Chocolate is a great choice. It melts fast and washes away from teeth, so it’s less likely to cause harm. In contrast, sticky treats like gummies and taffy are often tough to remove. So they are more likely to create problems.
- Use Candy as Currency – If your child is saving up for a PlayStation or similar big-ticket item, set a price for their Halloween candy and buy it – especially the sticky stuff.
- Freeze Candy – Store unopened candy in an airtight container in the freezer. It should keep for months. Then simply thaw it out in small batches when you want to treat your kids. One tip: thaw frozen chocolate in the refrigerator, not at room temperature. Otherwise, condensation will form that can affect how it looks and tastes.
- Get Crafty With It – If your kids like crafts, candy can be used to make some pretty cool stuff. You’ll find dozens of ideas on Pinterest and elsewhere. We like this suncatcher that is made with candies like LifeSavers and Jolly Ranchers.