No one wants to get a cavity. It can cause dental pain. If left untreated, it can lead to more serious dental damage. Fortunately, it’s not too tough to have a cavity-free smile.
- Brush and Floss Every Day – This tried and true combo is crucial for clearing out plaque and food debris before cavities get a foothold. Don’t rush when you brush and floss. Set a timer for two minutes of brushing at least twice a day. And don’t forget to floss at least once daily to get in between teeth where your brush can’t reach.
- Watch What You Eat and Drink – Sugary and acidic foods feed the bacteria that cause cavities. Limit candy, soda, and citrus. Stick to water as your go-to beverage. Rinse your mouth with water after eating to wash away harmful acids.
- Don’t Forget Your Dental Checkups – Seeing your dentist regularly allows us to spot early signs of cavities and take action before they grow. We can also give your teeth a deep cleaning to keep them cavity-free.
- Chew Sugar-Free Gum with Xylitol – Popping a piece of xylitol gum into your mouth after meals can stimulate saliva flow, washing away acids and remineralizing your tooth enamel. Look for a sugar-free gum with xylitol as the first ingredient.
- Cut Down on Snacks – Avoid constant snacking, which gives acid attacks more chances to break down your enamel. Give your teeth a chance to recover with some downtime between eating and drinking.
There you have it – five simple yet powerful ways to stop cavities in their tracks. Bring this list to your next dental visit, and we can personalize a prevention plan for your smile. With a little daily care, you’ll keep your pearly whites healthy and happy!