Summer is known for ballgames, for fireworks, for pools, vacations, camps, and barbecues. For many teens and twenty-somethings, it’s also a common time to get wisdom teeth removal in Lincroft. Whether your child is on summer break or has recently graduated, this is the perfect opportunity to bring them in for this oral surgery procedure. They’ll be able to rest and recover without missing class or work if they come in on a Friday. We can handle it right here in our office, so if they’ve been here before, it’ll be a familiar experience with the team they already know.
We’ll make their treatment as comfortable and quick as possible. To schedule an appointment, call 732-352-3903 today. And if you’ve never had the chance to get your wisdom teeth removed, we welcome you to come in too!
Why Get A Wisdom Teeth Extraction?
Wisdom teeth usually come in during a window of a few years, starting around age 17. Most people have four come in. They emerge in the very back of your mouth. These third molars, as they’re also called, sometimes don’t emerge properly, though. They can come in crooked, at angles, or only partially. That can cause problems, including:
- Pain or discomfort, while eating or not
- Crooked teeth, as they push other teeth out of place to try to come in
- Higher risk of cavities and gum disease, as bacteria can build up more easily since these teeth are hard to reach for cleaning and since partially emerged teeth can leave space between your gums and teeth where bacteria harbors
These are some of the main reasons we extract wisdom teeth. By keeping up with their development during your child’s regular checkups, we can track how they’re growing, what problems they’re causing, and even what potential problems they may cause. Our digital X-rays are particularly useful for seeing detailed images of these teeth, their roots, and the surrounding jawbone.
Why Get A Wisdom Teeth Extraction at Newman Springs Dental Care?
We mentioned that many patients like to get all their dental care under one roof since they’re already familiar with us and our office. That goes beyond knowing our team, though.
- We already know your medical history and likely already have digital X-ray images to guide us in the surgery.
- You won’t have to deal with the hassles of insurance and payment processes at another office.
- It’s also less expensive in most cases for your general dentist to perform this procedure, and we accept financing, insurance, and in-house options to help lower your costs. We’ll talk to you about financial options and arrangements beforehand.
- Also, our team knows your preferences when it comes to your comfort, which goes a long way in making your treatment more relaxing.
One of the biggest advantages of having your child’s surgery performed here, though, is the option of dental sedation. We usually recommend wisdom teeth removal with sedation because it works quickly to put your child in a dreamlike state. They’re still conscious and can respond to us when needed, but they’ll likely remember nothing about the treatment at all – no sounds, no pain, nothing.
We’ll wake them up when we’re done, and you or someone else will need to drive them home to rest, as they’ll be groggy for a while.
What Should You Do After A Wisdom Teeth Extraction?
To help your child recover quickly, you’ll need to encourage them to take it easy for a few days. We’ll give you post-op instructions at the appointment, which may include:
- Taking any pain relievers as directed.
- Keeping clean gauze on the extraction sites.
- Eating a soft-food and liquid diet. Make sure you prepare for this ahead of time by stocking the fridge and pantry with pudding, soup, smoothies, and more.
- Drinking plenty of water.
- Avoiding brushing for the first 24 hours, then carefully brushing around the areas as directed.
- Avoiding spitting, drinking from a straw, and using any kind of tobacco for at least 24 to 48 hours.
- Resting! You might want to have your child prepare a Netflix or streaming queue ahead of time as they’ll be asleep or lying down for the first day, anyway.
- Calling us with any concerns or questions we didn’t answer for you already.
Trust an award-winning team to handle your child’s wisdom teeth removal in Lincroft with the upmost care and comfort. Call Newman Springs Dental Care at 732-352-3903 today to get them in soon. You can also fill out our online form to request an appointment.