Did you know that right now, it’s trendy in Japan to have crooked teeth? Specifically, canines that push forward in the mouth, giving a fanged appearance. Some women are paying $500 or more to have their canines capped in order to get this look, known as “yaeba.”
While it’s always nice to hear that your looks will be appreciated somewhere, it’s fair to say that in the U.S., crooked teeth tend to be viewed as a problem rather than a beauty attribute. According to a study by research consultancy firm Kelton, we make assumptions about people based on their teeth: people with straighter teeth are rated as being more healthy, happy, and smart. Respondents thought that straight teethed people were 45% more likely to be the person a company would hire.
Have you been searching for solutions to your crooked teeth? Here are three top solutions for fixing them.
- Probably the most traditional approach, braces can fix anything from minor to major teeth issues. Typically, a metal bracket is affixed to the teeth, and wire is used to manipulate the teeth into a correct position.
- Most braces are tightened once a month, and on average are worn for 15 months.
- Non-traditional options include clear braces, which are less visible, and back-teeth braces, which are difficult for others to see.
- Invisalign are the clear, plastic alignment trays that help shift your teeth into the correct position over time.
- They are usually changed out every two weeks — because the change is more gradual, many patients experience less pain during this time than with traditional braces.
- They are not intended for more extreme orthodontic work, and are mostly applicable to horizontal movement (a canine that has not descended, for example, would need to be vertically moved).
- The average treatment time for Invisalign is 12 months — it’s worth noting that, while this is a shorter average time than braces, this is likely due to the typical patient needing less work done.
- Dental porcelain veneers are thin shells that are fitted over the surface of your teeth. They can be used to hide slightly crooked teeth, especially if you want them fixed in a short amount of time.
- Veneers can be applied within the space of a few visits — the local cosmetic dentist will need to get a cast of your teeth, and then order the veneers.
- Porcelain veneers last for five to 10 years on average. Dental veneers price at about $600 per tooth, which is one reason people will often use them only if they have multiple issues (such as discoloration, cracks and crooked teeth).
Are you interested in cosmetic dentistry veneers, braces or Invisalign? Let us know in the comments.