William Shakespeare once said: “For there was never yet philosopher that could endure the toothache patiently.” An aching tooth disrupts your daily activities and may even keep you awake at night. But toothache is highly preventable.
Symptoms of toothache include a sharp or throbbing pain, pain while chewing, sensitivity to hot or cold, bleeding gums, swelling around the tooth, headache and fever.
Toothache is caused by several factors:
• Tooth decay
• Tooth fracture
• Lost filling
• Infected gums
• Teeth grinding or jaw clenching
• Good oral hygiene. Prevention is still better than cure. Prevent toothache by practicing good oral hygiene: cleaning your teeth and gums at least twice a day. Use a soft-bristled toothbrush with fluoride toothpaste, and remove food particles in between your teeth with dental floss. Just like brushing, flossing is an essential part of your daily oral hygiene. If you can’t brush and floss, get rid of the bacteria and freshen up your breath with mouthwash.
• Healthy diet. Eat fiber-rich fruits and veggies, dairy products and foods rich in vitamins and minerals. Avoid carbohydrates, starchy food and sweets. Bacteria in your mouth thrive on these kinds of foods. If it cannot be avoided, make sure to brush your teeth and gums after each meal.
• Dental visits. See your dentist for a regular check-up at least twice a year. People who are at higher risk of toothache need additional trips to the dental clinic.
• Live a healthy lifestyle. Drink alcohol moderately and quit smoking.
• Mouth guard. Use a mouth guard while playing contact sports (football, martial arts or boxing) to protect your teeth from injury.
Dr. Mitchel Friedman of Newman Springs Dental Care offers solution for toothache. Visit your New Jersey dentist at 539 Newman Springs Rd Lincroft New Jersey 07738. You can also call (732) 352-3903 or click here to set an appointment.